Marine Science Internships and Jobs
The Conservancy of Southwest Florida is looking for a new full-time Naturalist
BACKGROUND INFORMATION: The Conservancy of Southwest Florida began in 1964 and is a grassroots organization focused on the critical environmental issues of the Southwest Florida region - our water, land, wildlife, future. We accomplish this through the synergies of environmental education, science, policy, and wildlife rehabilitation. As a valued employee, you will have a distinct opportunity to make a lasting impact on the quality of life in the region for generations to come. The Conservancy of Southwest Florida and Conservancy Nature Center are located in Naples, FL. The 21- acre Nature Center features the Dalton Discovery Center, von Arx Wildlife Hospital, Ferguson Learning Lab & STEM Institute ($3.6Million education center, labs and classrooms), $1.6Million in interactive exhibitory (10,000 square-feet), large and small aquaria, Eaton Conservation Hall, nature preserves, trails, and a filter marsh. Our environmental education programs reach over 30,000 students and guests per year through school and public programs.
POSITION PURPOSE: The Naturalist–Guest Experience develops and offers environmental education programs and activities at the Conservancy Nature Center and assists with husbandry duties in the Dalton Discovery Center. Leads public tours and guided kayak tours. Provides support to the Nature Center’s Welcome Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Leads onsite public education programs at Conservancy Nature Center.
· Teaches about Southwest Florida's habitat, wildlife, and conservation to all age groups.
· Assists with coordinating education special events (Earth Day, Endangered Species Day, Kids Free Saturday, etc.)
· Provides assistance with the care and maintenance of animal exhibits as well as animals, equipment and materials used in programming.
· Assists in daily operation of the Welcome Center and information desk.
· Assists with supervision and training of Conservancy Nature Center volunteers and interns.
· Assists with partnership projects with schools and youth groups in the community.
· Develops special projects and new programs, as directed by manager or supervisor.
· Works effectively as a member of a team and provide support to other team members.
· Assists with related daily administrative duties.
· Delivers excellent customer service.
· Bachelors’ degree in ecology, science, education or related field.
· Minimum two years of related experience, with science/ecology background and experience.
· Strong commitment to the conservation of biodiversity, environmental quality, and natural resources.
· Friendly, energetic, and outgoing personality, with the proven ability to provide exceptional customer service
· Knowledge or willingness to learn about local ecosystems and natural history of Southwest Florida.
· Excellent public speaking skills
· Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
· Experience working with and supervising volunteers highly desirable.
· Knowledge and experience in the care/ husbandry of aquaria/ vivaria, aquatic/marine and terrestrial life; fish, invertebrates, reptiles, etc. is preferred
· Enthusiastic desire to work with children and adults.
· Ability to conceptualize, design, and implement programs, projects and activities related to the mission of the organization.
· Ability to work effectively as a team member.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
· Knowledge and use of science lab equipment.
The above statements describe the general qualifications required to perform the job and the general nature and level of work performed - not a complete list of duties - additional responsibilities may be assigned by management.
[Applicants are required to complete the official Application to submit along with their resume. To access the job posting and the application, follow the link: https://www.conservancy.org/current-openings/naturalist]
Original announcement sent by:
Director of Education
Conservancy of Southwest Florida
1495 Smith Preserve Way
Naples, FL 34102
ph: 239.262.0304 ext. 242