Marine Science Internships and Jobs
The Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation (SCCF) is a private not-for-profit organization (http://marinelab.sccf.org). The SCCF Marine Laboratory is a member of NAML/SAML and the Florida Institute of Oceanography (FIO) and has 6 resident scientific staff, two of whom are Ph.D. Research Scientists. SCCF is a drug-free workplace.
Position: The SCCF Marine Laboratory seeking an independent, personable, and self-motivated Laboratory Manager. The Laboratory Manager is a full-time position at the SCCF Marine Laboratory on Sanibel Island (near Fort Myers, FL). Working closely with the Marine Lab Director, the Lab Manager’s primary responsibility will be to provide administrative support, financial and grant reports, track lab equipment and supplies, and perform front desk duties associated with the running of a field laboratory. Preference will be given to those with experience in a laboratory setting familiar with lab safety and/or knowledge of the local environment (bays and Gulf of Mexico). Work will primarily be at the Lab (office) with some weekends and evening hours, as needed. Individual must be able to work independently, have strong oral and written communication skills and be very organized.
Qualifications: This position requires a BA or BS in accounting or business management or equivalent work experience with relevant administrative support experience. At least 2 years of experience in accounting or bookkeeping is required. Advanced knowledge of spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Excel) and databases (Microsoft Access), Adobe Acrobat Professional (forms, bundling multiple spreadsheets and documents to create grant reports) in addition to word processing and presentation software is required.
Specific duties include:
· Perform functions of financial administration and reporting to include, but not limited to: preparation and timely submission of grant applications and reports, manages all billing for grants and contracts award, development and adjustment of associated budgets, coordination of budgeted funds, screening and processing expenditures.
· Perform front desk administrative duties associated with the running of a remote college campus and field laboratory. Includes answering the phone, being a receptionist and giving lab tours to donors.
· Works closely with the SCCF Marine Lab Director and Business Manager on billing and other financial matters. Individual oversees time and effort, travel- and leave-related tracking and management.
· Helps Marine Lab scientific staff to enter data, perform outreach as needed and prepares reports and content for the SCCF Newsletter and other outlets to promote awareness of lab activities.
· Maintains inventory (Access database) for research equipment, chemicals and field gear.
· Assists with facility maintenance and transfer to a new Marine Lab facility in 2015
Hours: Full time. Some weekend and evening hours required. Benefits including medical, dental, life, 401K, disability insurance.
Work location: SCCF Marine Laboratory, Sanibel Island, FL
Please send C.V., cover letter, and the names and contact information for 3 references who can describe your skills and abilities to accomplish the required duties to Dr. Eric Milbrandt, firstname.lastname@example.org, 900A Tarpon Bay Rd., Sanibel, FL 33957.